The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) Combined Graduate Level (CGL) Exam is one of the most popular exams for graduates seeking government jobs in India. The exam is conducted annually by the Staff Selection Commission, and the notification for the 2023 exam is expected to be released soon. In this blog, we will discuss the SSC CGL Exam Pattern for 2023 in detail.
The SSC CGL Exam consists of four stages – Tier-I, Tier II, Tier-III, and Tier IV. Let’s discuss each stage of the SSC CGL exam pattern in detail.
Tier-I Exam Pattern
The Tier-I exam is a computer-based test (CBT) and consists of four sections – General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness, Quantitative Aptitude, and English Comprehension. The total duration of the exam is 60 minutes, and a total of 100 questions are asked. Each correct answer carries two marks, and for every incorrect answer, 0.5 marks are deducted. The exam pattern for Tier-I is as follows:
|Subject||No. of Questions||Max. Marks|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50|
Tier-II Exam Pattern
The Tier-II exam is also a CBT and consists of four papers – Paper-I (Quantitative Aptitude), Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension), Paper-III (Statistics), and Paper-IV (General Studies). The total duration of the exam is 120 minutes, and each paper carries 200 marks. The exam pattern for Tier-II is as follows:
|Paper||No. of Questions||Max. Marks|
|Paper-I (Quantitative Aptitude)||100||200|
|Paper-II (English Language and Comprehension)||200||200|
|Paper-IV (General Studies)||100||200|
Note: For Paper-I and III, there will be a negative marking of 0.5 marks for every incorrect answer. For Paper-II, there will be a negative marking of 0.25 marks for every incorrect answer. There will be no negative marking for Paper-IV.
Tier-III Exam Pattern
The Tier-III exam is a descriptive type test and is conducted in pen and paper mode. The exam is designed to test the candidate’s writing skills in English or Hindi. The duration of the exam is 60 minutes, and it carries 100 marks.
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application etc.)||100||60 Minutes|
Tier-IV Exam Pattern
The Tier-IV exam is a skill test and is conducted in two parts – Data Entry Speed Test (DEST) and Computer Proficiency Test (CPT). The DEST is conducted for the post of Tax Assistant, and the CPT is conducted for the post of Assistant Section Officer in CSS and MEA. The exam pattern for Tier-IV is as follows:
|Data Entry Speed Test (DEST)||Requires candidates to type 2000 words in 15 minutes with an accuracy of 8 key depressions per word||15 Minutes|
|Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)||Consists of three modules – Word Processing, Spreadsheet, and Generation of Slides.||45 Minutes|
Tips to Crack SSC CGL Exam 2023:
- Understand the Exam Pattern: It is essential to understand the exam pattern thoroughly before starting the preparation. This will help you plan your study schedule and give you a better understanding of the exam’s requirements.
- Focus on Basics: Start your preparation by focusing on the basics of each subject. This will help you build a strong foundation and make it easier for you to understand advanced topics.
- Practice Regularly: Regular practice is the key to cracking any exam. Solve previous year question papers and mock tests to get an idea of the exam pattern and the types of questions asked.
- Time Management: Time management is crucial in any exam. Make sure to allocate enough time for each section and try to complete the exam within the given time frame.
- Revision: Revision is essential to retain what you have learned. Set aside time for revision and make sure to revise all the topics you have covered.
- Stay Updated: Stay updated with the latest news and current affairs. This will help you in the General Awareness section and will also help you in the Tier-III exam.
In conclusion, the SSC CGL Exam is a highly competitive exam, and cracking it requires dedication, hard work, and smart preparation. Understanding the exam pattern and following the tips mentioned above will help you in your preparation and increase your chances of success. Good luck!